Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Fourth Grade students use permanent magnets and electromagnets to build electromagnetic motors. They then used the scientific method to test the speed of their motors when connected to different types of batteries. GE coordinator and volunteer Ric Delisio helps to trouble shoot and demonstrate for students.
The PTO, under the direction of Mrs. Hemenway, is organizing the Earth Day Challenge. The program will include asking students to participate in activities that include walking to school, recycling, reusing products, turning off faucet when brushing teeth, and picking up trash, helping in a garden, using reusable bags, or planting a tree among other attempts to honor mother earth. Find the right match you you! Each participating student will submit a postcard or letter stating how they have been earth friendly. Students can write in more than once if they have done multiple things. The 2 classrooms with the most participation will be rewarded with extra outdoor supplies. Everyone that participates will get a small reward. It is an easy way to make us all more earth conscious and teach our children to respect the earth!
Monday, March 28, 2011
Sunday, March 27, 2011
The Annual Lynn Woods Spring Family Dance is Friday, April 1. Come and enjoy the evening as a family.
Tuesday April 12 from 6-8 is the Science Night/Ice Cream Social. Science has been a real focus for us this year at Lynn Woods. The students will showcase their work and you can end the night with an ice cream in the gym.
In order for all teachers to maintain their MA professional license, they must participate in a variety of professional development opportunities to keep their teaching skills both sharp and current. All of the Lynn Woods teachers are very conscientious about this. Most recently Mr. Staples completed one particular area of his professional responsibilities. Well Done Mr. Staples.
If there is one thing our children look forward to every week is their gym class with Mr. Dana. Every week without fail, Mr. Dana plans and teaches a physical lesson that is challenging and fun for the students. He not only focuses on getting their bodies strong but incorporates many overarching rules of sportsmanship, attitude and playing fair! In this picture the first graders are doing an obstacle course in teams!
Friday, March 18, 2011
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
The MCAS dates are listed below. Both students and teachers have been working hard all year. The MCAS, although often difficult and sometimes stressful, does give us good feedback on where our strengths and weaknesses are, so we can use that information to adjust our classroom instruction and better meet student’s needs.
Our goal is for all students to be successful. Some suggestions to help children focus and be mentally prepared are listed below.
- Drink Water: Studies show that the human brain needs to be well hydrated to reach peak performance. Be sure your child has had ample water prior to the test.
- Breakfast: Eating a nutritious breakfast will help your child perform his/her best. Be sure your child has breakfast at home, or has plans to eat it here at school.
- Rest: It is also well documented that the brain functions optimally when it has had ample rest. Please be sure your child is in bed and gets (ideally) 10 hours of sleep.
- Stress: Research supports that stress hinders the brain operation. Individuals perform more smoothly when not under stress. Morning departures can be chaotic and hectic for all of us, please try to ensure that your child gets off to a smooth start and has a clear head on these test dates.
- Encouragement: Naturally we all want our students to do well. It is important to remind them that what we really want is for them to “Try their best”.
- Comfort: They will be sitting and testing, so be sure your child is wearing comfortable clothes.
- Attendance: It is critical that every student take the test. We understand that we can not control when our children get sick. There will be a make up date, however please make your best effort to be present.
Early Spring MCAS Schedule 2011
March 28 & 29
Long Write Composition
March 24, 30
March 23, 25
*******SAVE THE DATES**********
Math and Science MCAS is May 10 -- May 26.
The Annual Elementary School Basketball Tournament begins this week. Come and cheer on the Lynn Woods Teams. Both of our teams play their first game on Friday, March 18 @ Pickering Middle School. The boys play first at 4:00 and the girls play immediately after them at 5:00. Come down and show your school spirit!